About this course
Build on your existing professional skills and knowledge to become an advanced nurse practitioner on this University of Southampton master’s degree. This Level 7 training course will qualify you to independently assess, diagnose, treat and manage the care of people with complex clinical problems.
This MSc Advanced Clinical Practice: Advanced Nurse Practitioner course is for experienced nurses currently working as registered practitioners within a UK healthcare setting.
You’ll develop the expertise to become a confident decision-maker able to work independently in your clinical setting.
Led by our expert academics you’ll:
- examine role development in relation to advanced nursing practice
- learn how to apply evidence to your field of practice and clinical specialism
- use advanced communication and clinical decision-making skills in your work
- develop new or enhanced clinical skills around client health assessment, diagnostic reasoning and pharmacology
- show your clinical competence through simulated and practice-based clinical assessment
You’ll also have the chance to obtain the V300 non-medical prescribing qualification, if you have at least 3 years’ relevant post-registration clinical experience.
The course is built around the 4 pillars of advanced practice:
- advanced clinical practice
If you prefer, you can apply to study this course as:
- a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip) - you'll usually study for about 2 years and will not need to write a dissertation
You can also take a single module as part of continuing professional development (CPD). Explore modules that are available as CPD.
Your modules and fees may vary if you choose a different study option.
Your course leader is Dr Helen Rushforth. She has a background in child health nursing and advanced clinical practice. Visit Dr Helen Rushforth’s staff profile to learn more about her work.
We also offer the following pathways on our MSc Advanced Clinical Practice course:
- Advanced Critical Care Practitioner
- Advanced Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
- Advanced Allied Health Practitioner
This course is based at Highfield.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.
In light of COVID-19, we’ve made changes to some elements of course delivery for 2020-21. For details as to how this has changed delivery for this course, please view the Addendum to the Programme Specification PDF.